Stone Rams Recovery without Catalog service, utilises their Tranzman Appliance to be able to read media without the need for the original backup software or the original backup catalog. Stone Ram Consultants, will install and configure their Appliance software onto a physical or virtual server, and then they will work with you to schedule recovery, and / or cataloging of media so that legacy data can be recovered, and moved off the appliance onto a medium of your choice.
This service can be used for:-
- Providing recovery of legacy data after changing backup products (where the legacy environment was not migrated).
- Recovering of data after a disaster, where partial backups were written and catalog was incomplete.
- Recovering of data from media that has expired in the catalog.
Stone Ram would typically look to perform the whole recovery process remotely using Webex (or similar collaboration tool) to help deploy the Tranzman Server, configure it to access Tape media and to initiate the recovery process.
You remain in-control of the media, and are responsible for providing the Hardware required to perform this service.
- Backup Devices (Tapes / Library / Disk / SAN)
- Backup Media
Stone Ram consultants are responsible for installing and configuring Tranzman on the Tranzman server (it has its own Operating System).
You are responsible for your own media, and making sure they are loaded into Libraries / Drives.
Stone Ram will initiate each media recovery, The length of time each recovery takes depends on the number of files on the tape, and their sizes. (example for LTO4 below, and a 4TB disk being presented to the Tranzman Server)
- It can take up-to 4 hours to process each tape (LTO4 can hold up-to 1.6TB and has a read speed of 120MB/sec). In addition to this recovery time there is also time required to move the files to final resting place.
- We would envisage being able to process 2 to 4 tapes a day depending on transfer times for moving the files of the Share. If more disk storage can be provided (2 X uncompressed Tape size per Drive attached) is available we can double this as we could use 2 tape drives at the same time (currently we would recommend only doing one tape at a time, as the volume is only 2TB, and an LTO4 drive is 800GB uncompressed )
Recovered data will be shared over CIFS and it will be your responsibility for moving files from the CIFS share to alternative location so that the disk can be re-used for subsequent recoveries.